(1) da Justa Neves DB, Marcheti RG, Caldas ED. Incidence of anabolic steroid counterfeiting in Brazil. Forensic Sci Int 2013; 228(1-3): e81-3
(2) Santamarina RD, Besocke AG, Romano LM, Ioli PL, Gonorazky SE. Ischemic stroke related to anabolic abuse. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2008; 31(2): 80-5
(3) Small M, McArdle BM, Lowe GD, Forbes CD, Prentice CR. The effect of intramuscular stanozolol on fibrinolysis and blood Res. 1982 Oct 1;28(1):27-36.
(4) Lau DH, Stiles MK, John B, Shashidhar, Young GD, Sanders P. Atrial fibrillation and anabolic steroid abuse. Int J Cardiol. 2007 Apr 25;117(2):e86-7
(5) Kluft C, Preston FE, Malia RG, Bertina RM, Wijngaards G, Greaves M, Verheijen JH, Dooijewaard G. Stanozolol-induced changes in fibrinolysis and coagulation in healthy adults. Thromb Haemost. 1984 Apr 30;51(2):157-64.
(6) Lane HA, Grace F, Smith JC, Morris K, Cockcroft J, Scanlon MF, Davies JS. Impaired vasoreactivity in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroids. Eur J Clin Invest. 2006 Jul;36(7):483-8.
(7) Stimac D, Milić S, Dintinjana RD, Kovac D, Ristić S. Androgenic/Anabolic steroid-induced toxic hepatitis J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002 Oct;35(4):350-2.
(8) Socas L, Zumbado M, Pérez-Luzardo O, Ramos A, Pérez C, Hernández JR, Boada LD. Hepatocellular adenomas associated with anabolic androgenic steroid abuse in bodybuilders: a report of two cases and a review of the literature. Br J Sports Med. 2005 May;39(5):e27.
(9) Melnik B, Jansen T, Grabbe S. Abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids and bodybuilding acne: an underestimated health problem. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2007 Feb;5(2):110-7.
(10)Brower KJ, Blow FC, Young JP, Hill EM. Symptoms and correlates of anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence. Br J Addict. 1991 Jun;86(6):759-68.
(11) Alén M, Häkkinen health and fitness of an elite bodybuilder during 1 year of self-administration of testosterone and anabolic steroids: a case study. Int J Sports Med. 1985 Feb;6(1):24-9.
(12) Chimento A, Sirianni R, Zolea F, De Luca A, Lanzino M, Catalano S, Andò S, Pezzi V. Nandrolone and stanozolol induce Leydig cell tumor proliferation through an estrogen-dependent mechanism involving IGF-I system. J Cell Physiol. 2012 May;227(5):2079-88.
(13) Hartgens F, Kuipers H. Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletes. Sports Med. 2004;34(8):513-54.
(14) Brower KJ, Eliopulos GA, Blow FC, Catlin DH, Beresford TP. Evidence for physical and psychological dependence on anabolic androgenic steroids in eight weight lifters. Am J Psychiatry. 1990 Apr;147(4):510-2.
(15)Topo E, Soricelli A, D’Aniello A, Ronsini S, D’Aniello G. The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009 Oct 27;7:120.
Metabolic effects occurring during anabolic steroid therapy in immobilized patients or those with metastatic breast disease include osteolytic-induced hypercalcemia.
Anabolic steroids effect electrolyte balance, nitrogen retention, and urinary calcium excretion. Edema, with and without congestive heart failure, has occurred during anabolic steroid therapy.
The androgenic activity of anabolic steroids may decrease levels of thyroxin-binding globulin, resulting in decreased total T4 serum levels and increased resin uptake of T3 and T4. Free thyroid hormone levels remain unchanged, however, and there is no clinical evidence of thyroid dysfunction.
Significant increases in low density lipoproteins (LDL) and decreases in high density lipoproteins (HDL) have occurred. [ Ref ]